Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Beautiful Ball Gowns and what happened to dressing up?

Most of you who are reading this blog, may have just been on the edge of a time when dressing up and dressing beautifully was very important.  In 1964, when I was 11, I remember going to see Mary Poppins at the Valentine Theater in downtown Toledo, in a taxi (because most people only had one car, and our dad's took that car to work) with my mother and sisters on a weekday afternnoon.  We were dressed in dresses and I wore white cotton gloves and carried a small patent leather purse.  I remember it was hot outside, but very cool in the theater, and wanting to take my gloves off, but my mother insisted that I leave them on, because I was a big girl now and I had to act like a lady.  I know she did let my sisters take theirs off because I had to put their tiny gloves in my empty (except for a crochet-edged hanky) purse. 

I think that was the last time I ever wore gloves, except in the winter and to prom.  The world was changing and it took away our graceful manner of dress, many of our manners and courteseys, and in exchange, gave us "comfort" clothing, casual days, jeans for everyone and every day and fewer and fewer formal events.

Ah.  My heart pines for those days - the dressing up and manners parts.  This link will take you to a video, with narration, about ballgowns.  Not that most of us will ever get to dress like this, but it is the stuff that girls dream about and is good eye candy for today!


Beautiful Ballgowns


No comments:

Post a Comment