Thursday, June 7, 2012

Getting my Feng to Shui in my sewing studio

My sewing projects have come to a stand still in spite of the awesome new fabrics I've just brought home from New York, several sewing group challenge deadlines looming and a promise to sew for some Leonberger friends.  I have new trims, buttons, threads and a crap-load (yep - that's a lot) of new patterns piled high, yet I can't get my Mo Jo going. I finally figured out what was going on.  

Walking the dog today, I had an idea about this standstill in activity.  It must be that the feng shui in my studio is off!  Of course! That had to be it. 

When I first moved into my current home and was able to turn a stand-alone apartment into a sewing (aka Poker) studio (a girl cave) I had the furniture situated with my chair in the middle facing east, putting my big desk in the center of the room so I could walk around all 4 sides of it for cutting ease, etc.  For a few years, I sewed regularly.

Well, I got bored with that arrangement and decided I wanted to face looking out the sliding glass door to watch the deer graze and look at the woods.  So I moved my desk 45 degrees and had my back to the entry door, facing south.  This placement opened up the room more, and I started planning a way to get a new cutting table in the room.

But, the whole thing was awkward.  Nothing got done, crap piled up everywhere and not one poker game even finished in the money :(   So today, I moved the furniture around in the room again, going by "feel" instead of by logic.

The desk got moved up against the east wall, and my chair faces east again.  Even though it looks smack into the wall, I'm closer to the glass window, and as I type this a young buck is nibbling leaves only 100 feet from me.  I can actually see him with my peripheral vision, and if I just turn my head so slightly, I can see him in full view from my east facing chair.

In the middle of all this, I got out my feng shui book and checked a few important elements of this art of positioning furniture, colors, numbers and images for success, health and happiness and I discovered that my Kua Number is 4 (based on date of birth and sex- Male/female, not how much I've been having lately).  Here are my best items for personal growth:

  • Wood is my element (my floors are hardwood, my desk is wood, my pencils are wooden, my door is wooden, and my studio is IN the woods!
  • The SUN is my Trigram (trigrams are root symbols of the I Ching) and there will be more on that in another post
  • Best color for my home is blue/green (note to self - get some paint soon; goodbye white and oyster colored walls)
  • Best direction for personal growth is in the southeast -which is exactly where I have placed my desk today! 
Once I get all the boxes, fabric and junk picked up off the floor, I'll post a photo.  Now, if I don't get motivated to sew, I guess I need to paint my room blue and green (sigh. . .not my favorite colors).  If that doesn't help my sewing Mo Jo, I'll read the next chapter of the feng shui book.

And, I think I need to read further into the book to see if need to change the orientation of my PC desk - for better results at Poker.  Hmmmm....I might even need an entirely separate room and set up for that feng shui!

Go ahead, you disbelievers, poo pooh this is if you like, but the principles of feng shui are ancient guidelines and practices attributed to the Chinese, that use the invisible lines of energy present in everything, to create a harmonic flow of these 'currents".  There's a lot more to it than just that, but you get the idea.  A great book on this is "Total Feng Shui" by Lillian Too.  Link to Lillian's web-site

Hey, most of us have no clue how an email gets into our PC, or how a show gets onto our TV right?  Well,this is the same thing, kinda.  And I want every advantage I can get to make life easier, happier, healthier and more prosperous, so I'll move my desk, put a picture of dragon under my mouse pad, and put some crystals in each corner of my room.  Stand back, I can feel the chi flowing!

Now for the sewing. . .

TTFN!







No comments:

Post a Comment