Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Hey Mom! Do you have handcuffs at your house?

Should We Even Be Talking About This?

The phone rang.  It was my youngest daughter.  "Hey mom! Do you have handcuffs at your house?' she asked.

"Uh. . . that's a trick question right?" I replied, then quickly added "no. . not so far as you know. Why do you ask?"

That got a laugh out of her, and once you realize she is now a police officer, the question wasn't as kinky as you might have been led to believe.  What she really wanted to know was did I have HER handcuffs at my house?  She had stopped by and changed at my place and thinking she'd left them here in the rush to her shift. The fact that her question was worded as if I'd assume were talking about HER handcuffs, was the funny part. 

On her end of the phone, I can only imagine her rolling her eyes and saying "eweeeew! yuck!" in head, while she played along with me.

We laughed about this for a bit, then hung up and it struck me how odd it is to have certain conversations with your kids, even when they are almost as old as you (I maintain that I stopped aging long ago, and now my kids are getting old enough to be my sisters and brother).

This reminds me of the time I was cleaning out my pre-marriage and pre-weight gain lingerie drawers while my oldest daughter was visiting.  I was laying out beautiful nighties, etc. (I'll leave this part to your imagination so my kids don't have to hack into my blog and delete this) and my daughter was taking a few things that suited her, when her husband walked in the room. 

He looked at the lacy stuff laying around, and she showed him a few things and he said "Wow!  Those are pretty!  Where did they come from?"  And the look on his face was priceless when she said, "Oh from Mom!  She doesn't need them anymore!"  He then looked at me, blushed and said to us both "Oh great.. .that's a visual I really didn't need!". 

Then quickly realized how that comment sounded and he tried so hard to get out of the pile of poop he stepped in by saying "OH GOD!  Not that Mom wouldn't look great in. . . I mean. .  I just can't. . . .now when my wife is wearing that. . .OH GOD!....I'm getting out of here!"  And out the door he bolted.  I have no clue what became of those things and really don't need to know.  I can let that one alone for all our sakes.

Yep.  Having kids who are almost my age really makes for interesting conversation. 

I remember the time when my then-young step-son came into my room holding something behind his back and said "Hey, Jackie!  You LIKE fur, don't you?"  That is an entirely different post for an entirely different day.

TTFN
Jackie
(who really is so psychic!)


2 comments:

  1. Nice! Yes I like your theory that we're not getting older, our kids are just gaining in age so that's they're old enough to be our brothers and sisters.

    I think I'm going to borrow that one.

    Thanks!

    Steven and Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steven - I can't wait to hear YOUR stories about conversations with your grown kids - when that happens! Your adventures with Lucy are a delight on their own, now add in adult-to-adult kid conversations and I imagine I'll be rolling off my chair in laughter!

    I always tease my oldest daughter, who is now 41, about calling me "Mom". Recently, at her PT appointment, she came out with her therapist and said "Mom, I have exercises to do at home", and right away I snapped back and said, looking at the PT guy holding her folder "Mom? Oh gosh, I keep telling her not to call me that! I'm her sister! See how mean she is to me??? It must be the medication. . ." The poor guy just stood there, the waiting room got very quiet, and my daughter just rolled her beautiful brown eyes and said "Oh WHATEVER!" It's a great conversation starter! I can imagine the other patients were quite confused and had lots to ponder after we left.

    ReplyDelete